Sunday, October 7, 2012

~The Magic of Ordinary Days~

When I was in high school I read a book called the Magic of Ordinary Days.  Basically its the story of a woman who comes to realize that its not the big events but her day to day life that is truly special.  I have made almost no attempt to hide the fact that I would like October to fly by.  But if I'm being honest I would have to say that feeling is only controlling a part of my heart.  The other part wants days like today to go on for a while, the ordinary days - where nothing extraordinary happened, but the day was magical nonetheless.  

Now this isn't to say that once Finn joins us we won't have wonderful ordinary days.  In fact I know we will have many of them, and more often than I should I will wish for something exciting to happen.  But I do know that in a few short weeks, and likely for a few months, our days will be anything but ordinary.  They will be chaos.  Such is the life with a toddler who with lots of energy in the middle of winter and a newborn still adjusting to this side of the womb.  And I know that on some days I will question my sanity and why I thought I wanted another baby.  But this feeling will pass, I know it will.  

Our little trio is at such an amazing point of ease that when I let fear plant itself I wonder will it ever be this 'groovy' again.  And while I can worry from sun up to sun down, that isn't what I want to spend the next month doing.  Instead I want to absorb as much of this time with our first little boy so that I can always remember what it was like 'before Finn' and we just had our Row Row. 

We went into today knowing it was going to be a lazy indoors kind of day.  The 80% chance of rain and high of 55 degrees pretty much guaranteed there wouldn't be any fun family outings going on today.  I decided early in the day that  I would accomplish a few household things, finish the laundry, wash the bed linens, and hopefully get us a little ahead for the week.  Rudy made his weekend pancakes, with the help of his little Chef Rowen.  During nap time I went to the grocery store, cursing myself for going so late in the day, but I enjoyed watching the Sunday Crazies as I strolled the store.  

Rowen played and played with his best buddy Jack.  Those two can sit on the floor for hours, and all we usually here out of Rowen is lots and lots of giggles.  I only wish I knew what they were talking about.  

When dinner time rolled around, I got to work making meatballs.  I made extra in hopes of freezing some sauce, and made homemade garlic bread to go with our spaghetti.  I could eat spaghetti every single day of the week so when Rudy agrees to it for dinner its like Christmas around here! Rowen wanted to wear an apron too, and I think an apron his size (and a lot less feminine) may be on order from Santa...
Lola making an appearance...

While we waited for the meatballs to cook, we had a little couch fun taking pictures with the iPad...

At dinner we stripped Rowen down to a diaper and let him go to town on his spaghetti, which he loved!  He couldn't get the spoon into his mouth fast enough! Once dinner was over I cleaned things up while Rudy took care of Rowen's nightly bath.  After bath came books, and before I knew it we were saying goodnight to our little beep beep ( I have been calling Rowen this for the past week because of Little Blue Truck).  

Tonight Rudy and I sat down to a movie on demand, and watched Chimpanzee.  While it was a little sad, it was a cute story.  Rudy has been perfecting his stovetop pop corn recipe, and thankfully tonight I was the primary taste tester!  He hasn't gotten it exactly right yet, but I am more than willing to keep trying all of the 'failures'.  

This was an ordinary day.  And yet at the same time it was so wonderful that I'm going to bed with a smile on my face and happiness in my heart.  
Have a good week everyone, and may your days be magically ordinary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...