Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Finnegan's Birth Story

Our dear sweet Finnegan James,

It is time to document your birth, so that one day you too will know the story should I ever forget the details.  As I write this you are quietly rocking back and forth in your swing, making the occasional grunt that we have discovered is quite common for you.  Today, you are just one day shy of your third birthday, time is already going too fast.

Getting back to your birth, you were born at exactly 39 weeks.  Two days prior to your arrival we had been concerned that you were loosing fluid, and your dad and I took a trip to the hospital to check things out.  After running a test, Dr. Owen said we were free to go, but if I was still concerned on Thursday to go ahead and come in because she was on call and would be happy to check things out again.  Let it be noted that we LOVE Dr. Owen.  

On Thursday the 15th, I got up bright and early to head out to the mall for a long walk.  At this point it became too cold to walk outside, and I met your Auntie Gail to do half mile loops of the mall.  I also want to note that I ate a bowl of fruity Cheerios prior to leaving the house, and finished the box, which in hindsight should of been a sign that this day might be the day ( I did the same thing with your brother)!

After the walk I called your dad because I was still concerned about leaking, and he told me to go ahead and call the hospital. I did so, and they told us to come in.  So I quickly changed and met your dad at the hospital at around 1130.  Once again Dr. Owen ran a test, but also decided to do an ultrasound to see how you were looking.  While the test said things were fine, the ultrasound showed that you had low fluid, which meant we were staying, and were going to meet you soon! 

The decision to induce labor happened around 1 pm, at which point I asked your dad to get me a snack before I wasn't allowed to eat anymore.  He came back with a Snickers and Peanut M&Ms, I sure do love him!  The doctor started the Pitocin at 2:30, and the waiting game began.  At around 6pm she came into check me and wasn't happy with the progress, so she went ahead and broke my water.  While this sped things up with your brother, I didn't know that it would make things go just as fast with you!  

At 7pm the new nurse for the night came in and decided to see where we were at.  Surprisingly, we were complete, and it was time to push!  However, I couldn't feel my legs at this point so we waited a while to try to get my legs back, but you weren't too eager to wait long.

At about 830, the nurse decided we couldn't wait any longer and called Dr. Owen.  While the doctor was still putting her gloves on, you decided you were ready to meet the world, and after 1.5 pushes ( I like to give myself a little credit, your dad on the other hand will tell you I did no work) we welcomed you to the world!  Yours may have been the most anticlimactic birth ever.


You, our sweet Finnegan James, arrived at 841 pm on the 15th of November, weighing 8lbs and measuring 20.5 inches.  You came out hollering with a head full of long dark spiked hair, and long fingers and toes! 


We were instantly smitten with you, and grow more and more in love with you each day! Words cannot express the joy you have brought to our family, and we can't imagine our lives without you!

Welcome to the world Finnegan James! 

Love,
Dad and Mom

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...