Tuesday, September 18, 2012

~Boy Mom Brainwash~

I never thought I would be a boy mom.  In fact I was so convinced that I would have girls, that I didn't even consider boy names.  And then we found out that our first child was going to be a boy.  Sigh, a boy, I know nothing about little boys, how was I going to become a boy mom? 

One of the first things we did after finding out Rowen was a boy was go shopping.  This should be easy, if there is any activity I excel at, its shopping.  But then I was introduced to the unfair world of little boy shopping, where 80 percent of the store is taken up by little girl clothes and the other 20 percent is a hodge podge of boy clothes.  I get it, stores are building consumers like me everyday, and it starts with those female dominate store sections. But that didn't make it any easier.  While I picked through the slim pickings of cute little boy outfits, I couldn't help but make longing sideways glances at the oodles of adorable little girl clothing.  

When Rowen was born, I forgot about those little frills I was missing.  I started enjoying the many shades of blues and greens that had taken over my life, and I learned how to dress my little boy.  I started to not even notice the little girl clothing as I was able to quickly scope out things that would fit the style I had decided was Rowen's. It became easy to do.

And then I became pregnant again, and those little fluttering hopes of bows and lace socks started creeping into my heart.  I got my hopes way up. I tortured myself. I may have spent the entire 45 minute drive to the gender ultrasound picking out all of the hair bows I was going to purchase on the ride home once we confirmed what I already knew, that baby number 2 was a girl.

Except baby number 2 is very much a boy.  And while I wish it were socially acceptable to dress my sons in polka dots and paisleys (even if its acceptable, its just not for us), my favorite patterns will not be making an appearance in the near future.  This round was easy, in fact I have not bought little brother anything in a store. I have bought a piece here or there online, but for the most part very few new little boy items have joined our home.

Last night however, all of the little blue outfits that I grew to love with Rowen were brought out of storage.  And I was hooked.  Call it brainwashed, I am sold on my sweet little boy clothing right now. In fact I think if I had to buy baby girl clothes right now I would probably be sad about all my little boy blue clothes. 

Sitting surrounded by the sweet smell of Dreft I carefully folded and cuddled forty shades of baby blue.  Washing the clothes made it all very real.  In less than ten weeks (hopefully) I will be a boy mom again.  I will dress my second sweet little boy in the clothes I once so foolishly thought I would never need.  While there are many other little things that make me a boy mom, including my excellent dump truck noises, pulling out my sweet little boys' clothing may be my favorite thing.  The clothes are ready, and everything else will soon be ready.  And I am ready to meet the other sweet little boy who has already stolen my heart.  




1 comment:

  1. Oh Danielle, this made me tear up. I recently went through Wyatt's baby clothes to start selling them as I will no longer need them. It has been SO hard knowing I (probably) won't have another little boy to call my own. There are just something about little boys. My boy-mommy heart is nervous about adding a little girl. I can't wait to see Rowen's brother!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...