Thursday, January 12, 2012

~You Have Feet In Your Shoes...~

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

Rowen has always been a wiggly, on the move little man.  While at daycare, he is allowed to freely roam the confines of his classroom, crawling all over the place.  When he comes home, he isn't always a happy camper about being confined and not having free reign of the house.  This week, on two of the days where I picked him up, he looked at me like 'hey mom, your not supposed to be here, I'm still playing.'

Today, while he happily went with me, when we got home, the restrictions on his freedom got to be too much for my little man.  The usually happy, easy going ham of a little boy I normally see sat in his high chair for close to twenty minutes losing his mind.  He has a slight flair for the dramatics, I have no idea where he gets that from.  I tried everything I could think of, even adjusting his feeding schedule and trying to give him his afternoon bottle earlier.  Nothing seemed to work.

Until I picked him up.  And took him to his room, and just rocked him.  These moments are few and far between for us.  Usually our rocking sessions end in him wanting to get down and investigate something new and exciting.  But not today.  Rowen quietly sat on my lap as we rocked back and forth in our big comfy chair and just stared up at me with those big brown tear stained eyes.  And it quickly made me forget the temper tantrum of only five minutes before.  Eventually he started to wiggle and we sang his favorite song, wheels on the bus, and as usual the little giggles I've heard so many times singing that song continue to melt my heart.

I know that while I'm at work I miss a lot of what Rowen does throughout the day.  Sometimes I become frustrated when I get him home and all he wants to do is cry because he is tired from not napping at daycare.  Or he wants to crawl all over the place instead of sitting in my lap reading books.  Or he goes straight to bed and all of the precious little 'us' time for that day is lost.  But days like today make it ok.    It reminded me that some times when I can't figure out what Rowen wants, and I don't know how I'm gonna keep going for another five minutes without losing my temper, all it takes is my little boy wanting to be held by his mom to melt away all of my frustration and enjoy those little moments with him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...