Tuesday, February 14, 2012

~Valentine's Day, Not So Much~

Let's just say Valentine's Day has never really been my holiday.  I would rather celebrate St. Patrick's day on a grand scale than even acknowledge V-Day.  As a child I thought it an odd holiday since not everyone chose to participate in the exchange of Valentines but you still had to bring one for everyone.  

In college I may of celebrated a "We hate Valentine's Day" holiday.

And ever since I have had a Valentine, it hasn't meant that much to us.  Our first Valentine's Day I was in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.  And for the past half hour Rudy and I picked our brains about what we did last year and we determined a. He was on travel or b. I was working or c.  We did absolutely nothing. It's sad that I can remember more of the Superbowl last year (and I wasn't even that interested) than I can of Valentine's Day last year. 

This year we again chose the route of don't plan, don't acknowledge.  And then I got it in my head that we should have a somewhat fancy dinner together after Rowen went to bed and 'celebrate' the day over some nice crab legs.  

That was until we woke up yesterday morning sneezing, sniffling, and generally feeling miserable.  Instead of crab legs, which neither of us would of really been able to taste due to diminished taste buds a la the cold, we ate left over pizza.  Nothing says happy Valentine's Day like cold pizza.  

The best Valentine's Day gift I got was the Tylenol Cold and Cough I picked up last night at Target.  Because while I didn't get my husband a gift, it was apparently expected that I get my ten month old son's teachers gifts.  So I ended up in Target with all of the other crazies on a hunt for three cards that didn't say I want to make sweet sweet love to you, and some chocolates that I could throw in cute little gift bags.  I may have failed on the home front, but I did manage to give the teachers a little something nice, despite their lack of appreciation.  

 And while I did opt to get Rudy a card, it is still sitting in the glove compartment of my car, and will probably still be there next year. Rowen wore red, so I will chalk that up as a success!

At Christmas I gave Rudy a present that had all of the important dates in our life together, and not one of those dates was this day.  Whether we celebrated today or not, I am still with the people I love, who mean the world to me, and that to me is the most important part of Valentine's Day.  I hope you all had a wonderful day and got to share it with those you love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...