Tuesday, June 26, 2012

~What's In a Name~

I wish I was using that title to announce BR2's name, but alas he is still a nameless little one, or as I like to call him 'Baby No Name.'  With Rowen, there was no debate.  We faltered that first night we knew he was a boy, but determined his name would be Rowen Joseph before we went to bed that night.  With this little guy we have gone back and forth through name after name. 

To add to the debate is the mandatory 'unique' clause apparently came from naming Row Row.  By giving him such a strongly Irish and less common name, it has been mentioned by several close friends that BR2 can't simply have a more common name, like Bob ( for the record I know and love many Bobs, including my dad.)  I have spent countless hours scouring blogs, baby name websites, even the social security website to come up with a name that both the hubs and I can agree on.  One thing we have agreed on is that his middle name with be James.

Here are a few that we have ruled out so far:

1. John. While more common, we have a thing for the Kennedy  Family.  Problem is our dog is Jack, iamed for the very same person.  I suggested we name him John James Rivera,  and call him JJ  until the day Jack the dog passes away and then we can start calling him Jack.  Crazy? I think so.

The Original Baby Jack

2. Dylan. We love Dylan, in fact it may stay on this list for the next baby.  It means son of the sea, which fits perfectly with our nautical backgrounds.  Problem with this name? Someone I work with has a son named Dylan, and he is the BAD son.  Many of the stories start with you'll never guess what Dylan did...Maybe in a few years when I don't work with him anymore I will be able to look at Dylan from a nonbiased view point.

3. Landon.  I love Landon, have every since I read A Walk to Remember.  Landon Carter Rivera sounds pretty fabulous to me.  But there is a certain soccer player, Landon Donovan, who the Hubs does not like and thinks if we were to name him that everyone would think he was named for the soccer player.  However, if I were to suggest naming him Chicharito after his favorite soccer player he probably would seriously consider it.  Chicharito James Rivera...I think not!

4. Laurence. This name came into conversation as a I listed every street we passed that could pass as a name.  I threw it in with the this was Christian Bale's character's name in Little Women (Hubs may have a slight man crush on Christian Bale.)  Rudy countered with "Why wouldn't we name him after his best character Bruce (aka Batman)?" Which only made me think of Bruce the Shark from Finding Nemo....

These are only a few that have been contemplated. I made the mistake last time of buying a baby name book that has 100,000 names in it, and the majority of them are random.  For example America, Origin: The United States of America.  Really?

At this point in my mind we have it narrowed down to four names.  Last week I gave Rudy two of the names we were considering and told him to pick one, and didn't pick the one I was hoping he would pick, meh. The third name I really like and he isn't onboard yet, despite my  claims that Blank James Rivera  sounds like a professional soccer player to me.  The last name, and likely the winner of this chicken dinner, we love I just have a few concerns with.  It begins with an R  which creates lots of issues in my head (none of which appear legitamate to Rudy):

1. In Ireland it is considered a boy name, but here in the US it is more commonly seen as a girl.  Does that mean everyone is going to assume a girl is showing up when he shows up somewhere?

2. Is this name too close to Rowen's name, they both begin with Ro. 

3. This may be the craziest concern but if down the line the next baby is a boy would he be upset if every other male figure in his family had an R name and he didn't.  This is the last R name in our arsenal, and naming a third boy an R name would make me feel like I was on my way to being a Dugger. 

Yes I may be crazy and I may be over analyzing names, but it will be his name FOREVER.  That little fact makes this so much harder for me.  And I feel like BR2 is getting the short end of the stick because we have known he is a he for almost a month and are still refering to him as him, or Baby No Name in my case. 

At least we have a middle and last name picked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...